Café con Pierna 'Coffee with leg'

A fine, young, poised hand delicately takes a teaspoon, and looks sensually into a man's eyes. <<uno o dos>>, "one or two?", I imagine her saying from afar.

Her shiny pink gel nails catch in the sunlight filtering through the umbrellas covering the terrace. It is thirty five degress today. She lifts up the sugar dispenser gracefully and decants a quantity into his coffee cup, then pushes his hand away smiling, but never losing his gaze. Her fingers next playfully turn the teaspoon she prevented him from taking. Turning the spoon in his cup, twirling it between her fingers as she would her hair, she is locked onto his gaze. Her eyes shine in the sunlight and the man is clearly enjoying his show. Her hand stirs for what seems like an eternity, never losing his gaze and her leg almost brushes his. Her movements are deeply sensual and calculated; she dedicates herself entirely to her client. Then, suddenly the act is terminated; she sharply sets the spoon down aside his cup, disengaging the lock on his eyes. She moves on and collects some used coffee cups. What have I just seen? As she walks off she looks over to him again longingly drawing his gaze.

I turn and look at the bar. All the baristas are men and they are behind coffee machines set high on counter tops. In front of the coffee machines, there is a podium where no customers stand. Here, scantily dressed women take the coffee from the baristas and serve the men. The mauve dresses are very low cut and the skirts are high. This is more than just coffee with leg. There are many voluptuous curves on show. My attention is drawn to a Chilean man with a greying beard who playfully slaps a waitress on the bum that just brought over his coffee and she smiles. Another hand slips down a waist of another waitress and has a good squeeze. Noone says a word. In fact, one waitress caresses a client's shoulder.
When I entered, I bought my coffee and headed to the barista, the waitress was quick to serve me and told me quite kindly but firmly that clients must not enter the podium. I have my coffee and photo taken, even though that is not the done thing. It is all very secretive here; a clandestine coffee with leg.
Later and terribly confused, I enquire into my experience. And, it turns out that this is normal in central Santiago. And it's the Spanish to blame. In the early 20th century they attempted to sell coffee to the population but they were more fans of tea. So, of course the Spanish served coffee in a way they knew would sell...with leg.

Now, apparently, I happened to stumble into one just off the main Plaza in the Chilean capital that catered for a predominantly (solely) male clientele. However, I am told that there is also café con pierna para mujeres. I'm told, that I'd like it. I'm not convinced. But, when in Rome...*

.
Showing leg for my café con pierna


Café Caribe
Cerca de la Plaza de Armas
Santiago de Chile
Viernes el 18 de diciembre 2019

*This is a joke. I didn't go. Or did I? That's really a joke. I didn't.

Comments

Popular Posts