On the eve of 2019

One of my lasting memories of twenty eighteen is being spent on a bus in broad daylight heading South to El Chalten on New Year's Evening. When this year started, never did I think this year would end like this and I don't want to forget how happy I am to be able to appreciate this moment, these landscapes and to meet and have met so many people with such varied ideologies and pathways in life.
I can see the end of Lake Buenos Aires (in Argentina) and Lake General Carrera (In Chile), a huge, dazzling, turquoise lake which spans two countries and which has accompanied me for almost a full week since Boxing Day until now, New Year's Eve.
As, I have travelled East, I have seen a landscape change from lush evergreen forests to high meseta and finally to the arid Patagonian steppe, where volcanic ash and thorny bushes dominate this wild western like landscape. The only constant on this whole journey, skirting the lake, has been the wind. The wind is relentless here and from now on will feature heavily in my travels.
It is the barren nature of the immense Patagonian steppe which inspires; it is limitless in its expanse. This barren, almost uninhabited and uninhabitable land spreads empty until the horizon, and then empty to another and another...; it is an area of pure solitude.
And a place that lends itself to deep reflection.
On the shores of Lago Buenos Aires
New Year's Eve 2018

Comments

Popular Posts