A night at the pictures in Geordie land

The Tyneside Cinema is an international cinema showing films and the best cinematography from all over the world.
It is also my favourite cinema and the Tyneside Bar has a chic and silky European feel to it - and they have also have my favourite larger on draught - Estrella Galicia.

T                H              E

FILM: The Favourite

So. Historial accuracy aside, which I looked into and bamboozled myself with an astonishing amount of information about Queen Anne and Abigail and Sarah Churchill, what can I say about the film?


I found the character of Abigail fascinating. I don't think that Abigail ever set out to be a bad person despite the bad things she does; her character seems a product of her background and circumstance - not that ever is an excuse to poison your cousin or stamp on a rabbit, of course. However, she seems corrupted by her circumstance and her innocence is transformed into a sort of power-struggling sadism. Even when she gains her lifestyle back, gaining a bed, becoming a lady once more, no longer a scullery maid, she seems bored by it all. The monotony of her ideals seems to drive her into a craze. She is an intriguing character.


And that is the film's main theme - a struggle for power. Every scene seems to play a power trip - someone is always battling for it.


And to sum up?

The film was great and most of all I liked the layout of the text - it was sleek and stylish.

Tyneside Cinema

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Wednesday 13th February 2019

Comments

Popular Posts