Clubbing: no longer needs class A drugs - it currently is one.

Welcome to Ibiza.
The shoreline walk is full of faceful torsos.
It shouldn't be. It should be like the red light district in Amsterdam. Naked bodies can be seen but faces should be hidden from view.

I'm not complaining but I wish there were more masks.
People seem obvious here to the seven thousand cases that came about yesterday.

I usually sit and write these journal articles in situ. Even in Argentina, I hid my mobile and typed into the screen in a market while a homeless man begged me for ten pesos to detail the people around me. If it was unsafe there and I typed, little did I know Covid-19.

San Antonio always had a fame for debauchery and standards that only Shagaluf could beat. So, If I am seeing a tame San Antonio, this is a place I will not be returning to.

It's the height of season. A wasted young girl staggers across the promenade and just before collapsing face on into a lampost, grabs a concrete seat. Two middle aged Spanish tourists stare on in silence; their eyes say much. I'm sure their jaws are dropped.

The bars look enticing; fabulous dance anthems spill out until the very last moment, taking us into a different world. Pre Covid. And this year there will be fewer hungover casualties.

A black man shouts out to me "weed" "Charlie". I walk on, continuing in silence on my evening stroll. It may be Sunday 23rd August but this place is eerily quiet.

Foreign tourists speaking French, English, German walk past, unaware of the fines they could get for not wearing their face masks. Even the Spanish seem to have noticed that here, another rule applies regarding the obligatory face mask in public.

Since I've arrived I have seen zero police cars. Yet in Galicia, where cases remain low, I saw police everyday and 100€ fines being handed out like confetti at a wedding.

The crescent moon has just descended below the horizon, marking my bedtime. However, I will walk back past those clubs again. They look enticing; like a drug they real in the revellers, mixing them up and spitting out infections. Inside they laugh and giggle, blissfully unaware of the danger. Clubbing is the new class A drug; we know it is potentially lethal but maybe if we try it just this once... Everything will be okay.

West End, San Antonio
Domingo, el 23 de agosto 2020
Durante la pandemia. En la segunda ola.

Comments

Popular Posts